Live as Becometh a Saint

Live as Becometh a Saint: LBS
Articles of Faith 1:13
A saint is one who follows Christ in holiness and devotion with a view fixed on eternal life.  This is the commitment of a Latter-day Saint.
Wm. Grant Bangerter, April 1987 General Conf.
Lists to Live by:
     Christ: Beatitudes                                               3 Ne 12: 3-12
     Alma; Awaken to a sense of duty to God:         Alma 7:23-24
     King Benjamin; Become as a little child:            Mosiah 3:19
     Paul:  Stand Fast in the Lord                             Philippians 4: 4-8
     Paul: Exhortation to Saints                                1 Thes. 5:14-23
     Paul: Live as Saints should live                         Romans 12:9-18
     Peter:  Pertaining to Life and Godliness            2 Peter 1: 2-8
     Brigham Young: Live by gospel standards        D&C 136:23-29
     Joseph Smith:  Character traits of Christ          D&C 4:5-6
 “Are you a Saint?” may I suggest three questions that will allow for a self-assessment. 1st, is the way we live consistent with what we believe, and would our friends and associates recognize, that we have separated ourselves from worldly evils?  2nd, are worldly pleasures, profits, and similar pursuits distracting us from following, worshiping, and serving the Savior in our daily lives?  3rd, in order to serve God and be holy, are we making sacrifices consistent with our covenants?           
                                 Quentin L. Cook; Oct 2003, General Conf.
A saint is a believer in Christ and knows of His perfect love. The giving saint shares in a true spirit of that love, and the receiving saint accepts in a true spirit of gratitude. A saint serves others, knowing that the more one serves, the greater the opportunity for the Spirit to sanctify and purify.  A saint is tolerant, and is attentive to the pleadings of other human beings, not only to spoken messages but to unspoken messages as well… A saint “refrain[s] from idleness and seeks learning by study, and also by faith… A saint is honest and kind… A saint is an honorable citizen… A saint resolves any differences with others honorably and peacefully and is constant in courtesy… A saint shuns that which is unclean or degrading and avoids excess even of that which is good.  Perhaps above all, a saint is reverent. Reverence for the Lord, for the earth He created, for leaders, for the dignity of others, for the law, for the sanctity of life…
A reverent saint loves the Lord and gives highest priority to keeping His commandments. Daily prayer, periodic fasting, payment of tithes and offerings are privileges important to a faithful saint.
                                    Russell M. Nelson, April 1990, General Conf.
Every one of us is more beloved to the Lord than we can possibly understand or imagine. Let us therefore be kinder to one another and kinder toward ourselves. Let us remember that as we wait upon the Lord, we are becoming “saint[s] through [His] atonement.
Robert D. Hales, Oct 2011, General Conference
I believe with all my heart that the Latter-day Saints, generally speaking, are good people. If we live by the principles of the gospel, we must be good people, for we will be generous and kind, thoughtful and tolerant, helpful and outreaching to those in distress. We can either subdue the divine nature and hide it so that it finds no expression in our lives, or we can bring it to the front and let it shine through all that we do.                         There is room for improvement in every life. Regardless of our occupations, regardless of our circumstances, we can improve ourselves and while so doing have an effect on the lives of those about us.
I challenge every one of you who can hear me to rise to the divinity within you. Do we really realize what it means to be a child of God, to have within us something of the divine nature?
                                Gordon B. Hinkley, Oct 2002 General Conf.

Relief Society Declaration:
We are women of faith, virtue, vision, and charity who:
Increase our testimonies of Jesus Christ through prayer and
   scripture study.
Seek spiritual strength by following the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
Dedicate ourselves to strengthening marriages, families, and homes.
Find nobility in motherhood and joy in womanhood.
Delight in service and good works.
Love life and learning.
Stand for truth and righteousness.
Sustain the priesthood as the authority of God on earth.
Rejoice in the blessings of the temple, understand our divine
    destiny, and strive for exaltation.
Young Women Theme:
We are daughters of our Heavenly Father who loves us and we love Him.  We will stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things and in all places as we strive to live the YW values which are: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, Integrity, and Virtue.  We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values we will be prepared to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.
For the Strength of Youth Standards:  Agency and Accountability, Dating, Dress and Appearance, Education, Entertainment and Media, Family, Friends, Gratitude, Honesty and Integrity, Language, Music and Dancing, Physical and Emotional Health, Repentance, Sabbath Day Observance, Service, Sexual Purity, Tithes and Offerings, Work and Self Reliance
These standards are a guide to help you make correct choices. Review the standards often and ask yourself, “Am I living the way the Lord wants me to live?” and “How have I been blessed by living these standards?”
My Gospel Standards from Faith in God:
I will follow Heavenly Father’s plan for me.
I will remember my baptismal covenant and listen to the Holy Ghost.
I will choose the right. I know I can repent when I make a mistake.
I will be honest with Heavenly Father, others, and myself.
I will use the names of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ reverently. I will not swear or use crude words.
I will do those things on the Sabbath that will help me feel close to    
     Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
I will honor my parents and do my part to strengthen my family.
I will keep my mind and body sacred and pure, and I will not partake
     of things that are harmful to me.
I will dress modestly to show respect for Heavenly Father and myself.
I will only read and watch things that are pleasing to Heavenly
     Father.
I will only listen to music that is pleasing to Heavenly Father.
I will seek good friends and treat others kindly.
I will live now to be worthy to go to the temple and do my part to have
     an eternal family.
“I will give you the B’s
1.        Be grateful               2.    Be smart          3.    Be clean
4.     Be true                    5.    Be humble        6.    Be prayerful”

                                Gordon B. Hinckley; Ensign, Apr. 2001  

No comments:

Post a Comment